Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Prenatal Fitness Tips-Pregnancy Exercise

Image courtesy of Naito8 / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

I am currently pregnant with my second child and have been physically active since before my pregnancy. During my first pregnancy, aside from a full time job where I spent most of the day on my feet, I was pretty sedentary. The difference in the way I feel during this pregnancy compared to the first is huge. I'm far less achy in my feet and back and I have way more energy this time around.

Here are some tips I have to share on my experience with working out during pregnancy.

-Don't ignore your core. I'll admit that modifying my ab workout after the first trimester of pregnancy has been a challenge. I really recommend trying prenatal pilates for some good ideas on how to work out your abs during pregnancy. It's hard to figure out how you can keep your core toned safely when you are not supposed to do exercises that require you to lay on your back after the first trimester. One trick I've seen recommended and do use myself is propping yourself up slightly using two large pillows. From there, do a modified "half crunch". You can also work your obliques this way by doing crunches to the side. I also like the plank pilates pose which improves core strength and balance.

Ab workouts during pregnancy should be safe if you get the okay from your doctor first. It's important not to ignore this muscle group during pregnancy because strength in your abs allows you to take some of the strain of the extra weight you are carrying off of your back, reducing back aches, which are common and really not fun.

-Avoid bouncy movements. It's safe to run during your pregnancy if you were running before and your doctor says it's fine, but it's best to avoid other bouncy, jarring movements from exercises like jump roping, high knees, and certain forms of dance.

-Don't forget cardio. Just choose your form wisely. No running if you didn't run before pregnancy. Swimming, walking, and some forms of dance are great for cardio. You aren't trying to lose weight during pregnancy, but it's okay to burn some extra calories to keep your weight gain at a steady pace and between the ideal 25-35 pounds.

-Have fun. I think the motivation to work out is even harder to find at times during pregnancy because I'm tired and I sometimes have to really push myself to get going. So now more than ever, it's important to keep the workouts fresh and fun so you can keep your motivation to continue exercising throughout your pregnancy. I can't do the same thing everyday or it's just not going to be something I continue to look forward to.

Check with your doctor before starting any exercise program. Before beginning any workout routine, make sure your doctor feels you are healthy enough and exercise is safe for you and your baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment